What is the Scope of Dentistry- Know More on Scope of BDS in Kerala
Kerala, the God’s Own Country in India is the state with the highest percentage of literacy rate. Also , the state is now one of the major hubs to start a career as a dentist and also to pursue BDS and MDS courses. The below article discussed about “what is the Scope of Dentistry?”.
The scope to practice as a dentist in private clinics, hospitals and government healthcare sectors are very rewarding for candidates in the state. Dentists or the dental doctors can also further pursue higher studies or degree courses after the 4 year undergraduate BDS (Bachelor of Dental Science) course.
- MDS – Masters in Dental Surgery
- Ph. D in Dentistry
Scope of BDS in Kerala, BDS doctors have a very positive scope and fruitful growth for a medical career. Apart from hospitals, a BDS candidate in Kerala has a plenty of scope for applying in:
- Defence Services
- Healthcare Centres
- Forensic Department
- Community Health Centres
- Educational Institutions
- Dental Equipment Manufacturing
- Dental Equipment Firms
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Research Institutes
- Research Projects
- Teaching Professions
- Pharmaceutical Regulatory Affairs
- Forensic Dentistry
Similarly, BDS doctors in Kerala have the scope to practice in other specializations after pursuing certification courses in,
- Dental Hygienist
- Dental Mechanic
- Clinical Pharmacy
Only a dentist can perform oral surgery and treat patients suffering from oral issues. Mostly people and children require dental check up from time to time. Similarly, children in the various age groups require dental medications. Also, people in their old age needs medications to cavity and teeth as they are prone to more oral issues. Therefore, the demand for BDS doctors is getting more popular in Kerala [BDS in India]. This definitely increases the scope for further growth in their career.
Dental Issues & Enhancing Scope of BDS Doctors in Kerala
As a matter of fact, there are various oral health issues among people of various age groups in Kerala. Below is a bar graph that represents the dental problems of both the male and female among the age groups 12 to 15,
DENTAL ISSUES AMONG AGE GROUPS (12 -13)
The above report shows,
- The need for more BDS doctors
- Their quality services
- Also, the prospective scope to receive more practice in these situations
Even Kerala is now being reported to have more number of people consuming tobacco products (cigarettes, pan and others) among various age groups and backgrounds. Therefore, scope of Dentistry and the scope of BDS in Kerala increase due to these bad habit.This includes both male and female. Similarly this has led to an increase in the dental and oral issues affecting the overall health.
The above report shows the dental medical problems existing among the male and female population in Kerala,
- Dental Caries – Due to bacterial infection and will undergo colour change from yellow to black.
- Gingivitis – Gum disease leading to pain, inflammation.
- Retained Deciduous Teeth – Tooth in an abnormal angle or condition.
- Fractured Teeth – Infection of pulp tissue, bone and gum surrounding the mouth.
- Orthodontic Problems – Poor dental hygiene, abnormal swallowing, weak nutrition.
- Fillings for Caries – Removal of the damaged enamel and treating the infected area.
- Normal Teeth – A better and healthy oral surface.
So, the above data shows the different dental and oral diseases among the population of various age groups in Kerala and show What is the Scope of Dentistry. As a matter of fact, this reflects the demand for BDS doctors in Kerala. Also, there exists a huge scope for expanding a career across various regions in the state especially the scope of BDS in Kerala. In addition to the demand and scope, the State Ministry of health in Kerala conducts dental care camps on monthly basis in rural areas and villages. This benefits the poor people to receive free medical treatments and check-ups from the Dentists. Also, free consultations and medicines build trust and hope among the people for medical aid during camps.
- Even international healthcare organisations such as World Health Organisation and Red Cross provide healthcare services in Kerala for medical aid, campaigns, and services.
- This boosts the opportunities to work in foreign countries too.
- As a matter of fact, most medical and healthcare professionals employed in foreign nations are from Kerala.
- The United Nations Organisation has recognised the above facts and supports for more expansion of medical and healthcare services for India.
It is very important to realize that a BDS degree holder or a dentist receive the similar recognition, status and respect across the globe. The World Bank has prepared a report on the Health Index in India on the basis of quality of healthcare service, medication and treatment.
Kerala emerged as the best state in India on healthcare performance so the scope of BDS in Kerala is high. This achievement is equally important to securing a first rank or position among other foreign nations. Think you got answer to your query “What is the Scope of Dentistry?”.